What’s up blog,
For my second reading reflection, I chose “How to Fail at Everything and Still Win Big” by Scott Adams. It is his own autobiography regarding his cartoon Dilbert, a widely circulated office cartoon. In the book, Adams recounts his story, and gives lessons on living a better life. The lessons are in numerical order and offer insight to becoming happier, healthier and more successful.
This book enhanced my experience in ENT 3033 because it focuses on how to overcome your failures. Adams specifically states in one of his lessons that failure for an entrepreneur is inevitable, but how you use that failure can create your success. In Ent 3033, we talk about how we will be successful, and what will drive our success, but I don’t know if we consider how we could fail. This book provides insight into that concept.
As stated above, there is an emphasis on getting past failure with this book. As a result, I would create an exercise that asks students how they think their idea might fail. If it fails, how could they turn it around for success.
The most surprising thing is I found was his understanding of human nature and how it relates to entrepreneurship. He speaks about productivity, and how you have to find doing something that is risky, but it’s a risk you enjoy. Furthermore, many say that entrepreneurs are flexible and can work anywhere, but he talks about how having a balanced office and home life can lead to success. Overall the understanding of the human mind surprised me.
Hey Louis,
ReplyDeleteGreat choice of a book! I picked the same one and had a blast reading it. I personally believe that success cant come without failure. Scott Adams does a great job explaining that it is important to learn from these failures. I also like the idea you had for the class. It is very different and unique. I agree it is weird how much it relates to entrepreneurship. Human nature is very hard to understand and if we can understand our customer we can make profit.
Hey Louis!
ReplyDeleteNice book choice, I chose the very same one out of all of the titles provided. I would like to hear more about your idea of creating an exercise about asking students why their idea(s) might fail, and maybe wonder how you could make it more of an exercise rather than just a question. Anyways, I completely agree with you in saying that Scott Adam's understanding of human nature and its relation to entrepreneurship was surprising.