What’s up blog,
The opportunity that I would like to pursue is one I have already discussed, which is the parking situation at UF. Right now UF and the City of Gainesville do not provide adequate parking for commuter students who are on campus everyday.
The details of this opportunity are:
The Who: UF and the City of Gainesville
The What: They do not provide ample parking for students commuting to campus
The Why: UF assumes that undergrad students live in proximity to, or on campus. The city of Gainesville is not concerned with student parking issues.
My hypothesis is based on the fact that I have first hand knowledge of the problem, and have spoken with several people that deal with the issue on a daily basis. From what I gather, if UF and Gainesville continue to not provide adequate undergrad commuter parking, then there is a huge opportunity for entrepreneurs to provide low cost parking in proximity to UF, because no direct municipal competition exists and the demand is extremely high.
While interviewing five of my fellow students at the Heavener Business School, I know this hypothesis has validity, because all five have issues with parking near UF. Either their midtown apartment doesn’t offer affordable parking, or they are a commuter student who cannot find parking to begin with. They all had a negative opinion on UF’s Park and Ride system, as it doesn’t allow students to get to class in a reasonable amount of time. This is something I had no idea about, but after speaking with students who use this on a daily basis, it is clear to me that the system doesn’t work.
Hey Louis,
ReplyDeleteI agree it is a great idea if we added parking but do you think it would really end the parking problem or just help it? It is no doubt needed but I still think people would find it hard to park. Would it be cheaper than UF parking? If so it could work as a way to compete with UF parking.
Hey Louis,
ReplyDeleteI think that your UF and Gainesville parking opportunity is a good choice to work on something that everyone needs. I'm sure that some entrepreneurs will make good money by purchasing land, designating it as parking space, and charging a low amount of money for people to park there. Using either parking meters or something similar would be a good way to make money at low costs.