What’s up blog,
For my first reading reflection, I explored the Biography work titled “Steve Jobs” by Walter Issacson. It consists of 40 interviews over 2 years, before Steve Jobs, the famous leader of Apple died. Here are some of my take-aways:
· What I found most interesting is that Jobs was unlike other entrepreneurs in which he shaped his efforts and products to meet the opportunities around him. Instead, he would warp his reality to make a product that everyone desired. This was termed by his team as his Reality Distortion Field.
· What I admired about Jobs is his unwillingness to quit. He was fired from the company that he founded, and yet he still pursued his dream and changed the world
· I didn’t admire how hard Jobs was on his employees, according to them he was an overdemanding perfectionist
· Jobs did encounter a couple failures and adversity. He was fired from his own company, and then started another firm NeXT, which was seen as a failure and blackhole for money.
I also noticed that Jobs had a vast competency in software/hardware engineering. Many times, entrepreneurs can run businesses effectively, but need outside help with the actual development of the product. In Jobs case, he could do both.
I found the part about him naming the firm apple kind of confusing. From reading, I gathered that Jobs was a calculated entrepreneur, and when he named his company Apple, he did it randomly, which surprised me.
If I could ask Jobs anything, it would be about him not only pioneering a product, but an industry as a whole. Additionally, I would ask him about his strategies to set apple apart from the competitors. I would ask him this because growing up, everyone I knew treated Apple as a step above the rest of the computer manufacturers, but oftentimes they had the same specifications as Apple computers at a cheaper price.
Jobs was driven by hard work, it was what made him successful, he doesn’t think about hard work, he embodies it.
Hey Louis,
ReplyDeleteI actually also read Steve Jobs," by Walter Isaacson, and have to complement your interest in how he "warped reality" in order to create a product/service rather than think about opportunities that were already available. He had manipulate the media in such a way that it seemed like his products were more necessary or appropriate for more situations, more than once. Anyways, nice post!
Hey Louis,
ReplyDeleteI wrote mine on Elon Musk but I have always found Steve Jobs to be a very interesting and outgoing person. He managed to bring Apple from the bottom to the top company in the world. I personally am very fond of Apple products and find it amazing how well they sync to one another. I think what makes them so powerful is there exclusivity. Having their own app stores and imessage, they manage to control a part of the market no one else can get into. They are a brilliant company who knows how to capitalize and control.